Embroidery, Laser Print, Screenprint
9 × 7 × 1 in
Out of Print
The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State)
Created in Australia, a country that has experienced numerous catastrophes related to climate change and colonization, Cycle is a meditation on the relationship between colonization and ecology. Made with the assistance of life-long ecologist Shon Schooler (who was working in Australia at the time of the creation of the book, but is now Lead Scientist at South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve in Coos Bay, Oregon). Schooler designed and fabricated, the enclosure, binding, and end-paper screen-prints. Australian artist Alice Yeates sewed the embroidered covers.
The unique version of the book was made from collaged rubbings from memorial and cultural plaques throughout Australia, with the primary sources being from the Horizons Public Art Project in MacKay, and various war memorials on Anzac Parade in Canberra. Assorted linoleum cut blocks from Canberra artist Diane Fogwell were another source for the rubbings in the book.
The edition of eight was made by laser printing on vintage (1990’s) Hahnemühle mold-made paper. Three AP’s were also printed, this offered book is AP#2.
The book was thought to be out of print for over a decade till Schooler recently discovered the components for the unassembled AP #2.
1. Earl M. Collier, Jr., Private collection
2. Jack Ginsberg Centre for Book Arts, Wits Art Museum (WAM), The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
3. Library of Congress, Washington, DC
4. National Library of Australia, Canberra
5. Smith College, Northampton, MA
6. Stanford University Libraries, Palo Alto, CA
7. State Library of Queensland, Brisbane, AU
8. State Library of Victoria, Melbourne, AU
9. University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE (unique manuscript)
10. Penn State, PA