Cinders Gallery Box Set #0
Cinders Gallery Box Set #0
Collage, Facsimile, Hand-painting, Photo, Silkscreen, Watercolor
Selected and compiled by Cinders Gallery; 19 individual zines and books by various artists, including: John Orth, Kelie Bowman, A.J. Purdy, Andy Rementer, Jim Stoten, Luke Ramsey, Chris Habib, Chris Day, Allyson and Jeremy Taylor, STO, Gary Kachadorian, Le Dernier Cri, and Molly O’Connell, with additional anonymous works.
Cinders began as an artist-run gallery in a storefront space for more than 6 years on Havemeyer St. in Brooklyn, NY. We held monthly exhibitions showing hundreds of artists from all over the world – New York, Providence, Philadelphia, Berlin, France, Chile, Japan, Oakland, Toronto, Gainesville, Montreal, North Carolina, San Francisco, LA… There was always a constant curated selection of artist-made books, prints, records, and odd objects in the back-stuff we loved. It was a long series of seemingly endless amounts of amazing people doing amazing things constantly. Then suddenly in 2011, the rent nearly doubled after our lease was up. Our neighborhood had been rezoned for developers to build luxury condos which helped raise the rents and pushed a lot of our friends out. With no real leg to stand on, we left the space and discouraged by rent prices in NY, went mobile.
We initially started Cinders after we moved to New York and didn’t find a place to really call home. What would our own model for an art gallery be like? Replacing the coldness with warmth, everyone is invited to sit around the fire and partake. We decided to make our own perfect space with murals and weird hours and wearable sculptures.
It was apparent that there was quite a significant community out there who felt the same way and so we were inspired to start bringing these like-minded people together under one roof. As we searched for the right location, our house literally burned down in front of us, leaving us tragically homeless but also putting the requisite “fire” under our asses to quickly make it a reality. Thus “Cinders” was born. Born out of a tragedy, the urgency of life, and the basic DIY tenet of: If you are unhappy with the way others are doing it, you just have to do it yourself.
Box Set Contents:
1. Untitled, Zara Thustra, zine
2. Blooom, John Orth, 2010, 8/25, book with hand-cut heads collaged on vellum
3. Boing!: Comics and Drawings, A.J. Purdy, Andy Rementer, Jim Stoten, Luke Ramsey, 2007, 78/200
4. Aboard Sweet Freedom, Kelie Bowman, 2012, 1/11, book with hand-sewn pages
5. The Big American Fear Party, Anna Hai Fisch, 10/08, silkscreen print
6. Plagiarist, Chris Habib, 2011, 94/500, book
7. Corporeal – Breach, Chris Day, 2011, zine
8. Lichen Ocean by Allyson and Jeremy, 2011, 18/100, hand-stamped pages, drawings, screenprints, fold-out poster, signed and numbered
9. Shithead 3, 1/100, zine with hand-painted plastic palette
10. Linen Record, Kelie Bowman, 2011, unique artist book
11. Dopesick, Nanook, 2010, zine
12. Pixel Junk Destructoid, Pakito Bolino, 2009, ed. of 80, silkscreen book
13. Unlovable, Esther Pearl Watson, 12/20, zine
14. Untitled, STO, spiral-bound zine
15. Dandelions, Gary Kachadorian, zine
16. Fence, Gary Kachadorian, zine
17. Public Fiction Magazine, issue 2, 2012
18. Pressage en serie stakano / grafike par les os de l’usine au dernier cri, Le Dernier Cri, 2000, ed. of 200, book
19. Preguntas, Molly O’Connell. 2010, saddle-stitched book with silkscreen cover