Cinders Gallery Big Box Set #1
Cinders Gallery Big Box Set #1
Collage, Facsimile, Hand-painting, Silkscreen, Vellum, Watercolor
San Diego State University (SDSU)
Selected and compiled by Cinders Gallery, the Cinders Gallery Big Box Set #1 contains 22 individual zines and books by various artists, including: John Moore, Mark Cross, STO, Orson Wagon, John Orth, K8 Hardy, Chris Uphues, Islands Fold, Birdsong, Edie Fake, Tara Lisa Foley, Maggie Lee, Le Dernier Cri, Alex Decarli, Allyson Mellberg and Jeremy Taylor, Shithead, Chris Habib, and Space 1026 Collective.
Cinders began as an artist-run gallery on Havemeyer St. in Brooklyn, NY. For more than six years, we held monthly exhibitions showing hundreds of artists from all over the world – New York, Providence, Philadelphia, Berlin, France, Chile, Japan, Oakland, Toronto, Gainesville, Montreal, North Carolina, San Francisco, LA… There was always a constant curated selection of artist-made books, prints, records, and odd objects in the back — stuff we loved. It was a long series of seemingly endless amounts of amazing people doing amazing things. Then suddenly in 2011, the rent nearly doubled after our lease was up. Our neighborhood had been rezoned for developers to build luxury condos which helped raise the rents and pushed a lot of our friends out. With no real leg to stand on, we left the space and, discouraged by rent prices in NY, went mobile.
We thought about what our own model for an art gallery would be like? Replacing the coldness with warmth, everyone would be invited to sit around the fire and partake. We decided to make our own perfect space with murals and weird hours and wearable sculptures. It was apparent that there was quite a significant community out there who felt the same way and so we were inspired to start bringing these like-minded people together under one roof. As we searched for the right location, our house literally burned down in front of us, leaving us tragically homeless but also putting the requisite “fire” under our asses to quickly make it a reality. Thus “Cinders” was born; born out of a tragedy, the urgency of life, and a basic DIY tenet: If you are unhappy with the way others are doing it, you just have to do it yourself.
We opened up the doors in the summer of 2004 and have been running with it ever since, always evolving and challenging ourselves and all the ways art can be shown. We are not in one location, but use other spaces and places to do what we do.
Box Set Contents:
1. Untitled, James Moore, 2009, 9/100, flipbook.
2. Untitled, Mark Cross, ed. of 100, zine.
3. Unintentional Portrait Series, Sto Len, 2012, 12/28, watercolor.
4. A Hole In The Rubber, Orson Wagon, Zara Thustra zine.
5. And Heart 3D Popup Book, Zara Thustra zine.
6. Bloom Pink Edition, John Orth, 2012, 7/25, hand-cut heads collaged on velum.
7. Fashion Fashion Bashin’, K8 Hardy, zine.
8. Untitled, Chris Uphues, unique hand-drawn zine.
9. Black Hair, Chris Uphues, 2008, 14/100, screen printed zine.
10. Fawns Queen, Islands Fold, 114/200, zine.
11. Spirit Soup, Islands Fold, 66/130, silkscreen cover, zine.
12. Advertisement Catalogue, Noel Friebert, 2009, 120/133, silkscreen.
13. Birdsong #12, Birdsong, 2010, includes Birdsong postcard, silkscreen cover, zine.
14. The Only Good Virgin is a Sacrificed Virgin, 43/100, compilation of silkscreen prints individually sheathed in clear plastic cases.
15. Gaylord Phoenix #4, Edie Fake, silkscreen cover, zine.
16. A book of dedications, Tara Lisa Foley, hand-sewn cloth cover.
17. Frenching #3, Maggie Lee, zine.
18. Untitled, Le Dernier Cri, 2009, ed. of 200, silkscreen.
19. Lichen Ocean, Allyson Mellberg and Jeremy Taylor, hand-stamped pages, drawings, screenprints, fold-out poster, signed and numbered.
20. Shithead 3, 1/100, zine with hand-painted plastic palette.
21. Plaigarist, Chris Habib, book.
22. Indexiphilia, Space 1026 Collective, 207, 22/100, sewn and silkscreen book.